Length of leat built for over a mile from the White Brook to supply water power to Whitebrook Wireworks (MM270), established
c. 1600. Water powered wire drawing was first brought to Britain in 1566, when a wireworks was established at Tintern with German expertise. The leat has been obliterated in the immediate vicinity of the Wireworks itself and at its head near the Whitebrook, but an intermediate section is very well preserved. This appears as a trough roughly 2m across with cutting on the uphill side and a wall of large boulders on the downhill side.
Source: Cadw scheduling description of 08. 2000 F.Foster/RCAHMW 03. 2006