Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

NPRN 276019

Map Reference SO50NW

Grid Reference SO528067

Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Trellech United

Type of Site LEAT

Broad Class Water Supply and Drainage

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Length of leat built for over a mile from the White Brook to supply water power to Whitebrook Wireworks (MM270), established
c. 1600. Water powered wire drawing was first brought to Britain in 1566, when a wireworks was established at Tintern with German expertise. The leat has been obliterated in the immediate vicinity of the Wireworks itself and at its head near the Whitebrook, but an intermediate section is very well preserved. This appears as a trough roughly 2m across with cutting on the uphill side and a wall of large boulders on the downhill side.
Source: Cadw scheduling description of 08. 2000 F.Foster/RCAHMW 03. 2006

Archive Records