Plas Newydd, Llangollen, began life as a simple 2-storey, 3-window cottage known as Pen y Maes cottage, but gained its character and very extensive renown from being the home of the 'Ladies of Llangollen': Lady Eleanor Butler and Miss Sarah Ponsonby. They extended and refurbished the house from 1780-1829.
The whole house is festooned with applied timberwork and decorative detail; the character is essentially Gothic. It has a 2-storey, 4-window front of cement render with panelled timberwork including a band of urns at 3/4 height. The pitched roof is of slate with freestone gable parapets and kneelers, and stone chimney stacks. The 3 main bays to left have deep splayed bays to 1st floor, with diamond leaded glazing and some stained glass, flanking a smaller bay over the entrance. There are pitched roof Gothic three- arched canopies below and a band of carved panels at lintel level. The central canopy forms a splayed porch with seats. There is timberwork to the gable ends: left end has a tabernacle over various carvings of religious figures, with pediments to the ground floor over a dummy doorway. 2 tiny dormers to rear, central staircase window with openings to each level to left and pointed cellar doorway to right. At the left end there is an advanced and splayed bay with Gothic windows with intersecting tracery. The greater part of the oak roof of St Derfel's Church, Llandderfel (NPRN 43870) is said to have been brought here after it was damaged by fire in 1878.
The house is now in use as a museum.
Source: DE/DOM/SJ24SW, from the Cadw listed buildings database
J. Archer, RCAHMW, 19.10.2004