Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

PLAS UCHAF; PLAS UCHA, CYNWYD

Site Details



NPRN 28689

Map Reference SJ04SE

Grid Reference SJ05324272

Unitary (Local) Authority Denbighshire

Old County Merioneth

Community Cynwyd

Type of Site HOUSE

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Plas Uchaf, Cynwyd, is a large medieval hall-house retaining substantial original fabric and exceptionally fine detail, which has been dendro-dated to 1435. The house is clearly of high status, and was probably associated with the barons of Edeirnion. It is cruck-framed with a 2-bay hall including a fine aisle-truss to the cross-passage; to the east are 2 outer rooms in a series. A former inner room to the west is now lost. The walls were probably half-timbered originally and were replaced in stone by the mid-16th century. At this time, an ornate ceiling was inserted but was later removed, and a large fireplace was inserted into the west (dais) end of the hall, along with another at the service end. The building has a remarkably fine and unaltered interior, and one of only a very few to survive in Wales.The building was in a poor state by the mid-late 20th century, resulting in a restoration programme by the Landmark Trust, particularly to the exterior.

Reference: Cadw listed buildings database.
RCAHMW, 2009.

Digital Images

Archive Records