Map Reference SH80SW
Grid Reference SH8074104473
Unitary (Local) Authority Powys
Old County Montgomeryshire
Type of Site COUNTRY HOUSE
Broad Class Domestic
Period Post Medieval
Site Description A house was built on the Mathafarn site for Rowland Pugh in 1628, but was burnt down by Cromwell's men in 1644: the datestone has been reset into the rear of the current house. It was rebuilt in the later 17th century, but there is now no evidence for this phase of construction. The current house is of c.1800. It is a symmetrical 3-storey 3-window house of rubble stone, under a shallow hipped graded slate roof. There is full-height gabled rear wing and a central porch of rock-faced stone. Internally, there is a large stone fireplace with a cambered timber lintel, possibly reset from the earlier house; and the reception room with a plastered spine beam and a smaller classical-style fireplace to rear. Some way in front of the house are two 17th-century stone gatepiers with entablatures and ball finials.
Reference: Cadw listed buildings database.