Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

GARN FAWR CAMP;GAER FAWR

Site Details


NPRN 300425

Map Reference SM83NE

Grid Reference SM89613882

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Pencaer

Type of Site HILLFORT

Broad Class DEFENCE

Period Iron Age

Site Description The great north Pembrokeshire hillfort of Garn Fawr occupies a prominent craggy outcrop at the west end of Pen-caer and dominates all approaches. A complex set of stony banks and ramparts formed of loose scree, attest to a long and complex history. The site is notable in being one of the first British hillforts to be archaeologically surveyed, by Edward Lhuyd around 1700. Following a field visit in 1921, Royal Commission surveyors pronounced it ‘…one of the most striking of the stone forts of the United Kingdom…’ . The site was newly surveyed in 2009 by Groom and Wilson for The National Trust and Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority.

It has a central walled area, about 100m by 85m, enclosed with a larger area defined by rock outcrops and further stone walls, about 220m by 140m, having a central roundhouse emplacement. The site has produced a Hadrianic-Antonine sherd, whilst rectangular structures may indicate later reuse.

Source: Hogg 1974 (Archaeologia Cambrensis 122 (1973)), 69-84 - 70-75.

T. Driver, RCAHMW, 18th Dec 2009.

Digital Images

Archive Records