The circle lies on the highest point of a domed saddle between Moel y Llyn to the E and Moel y Garn to the W.
It consists of a ring of 31 orthostats and one leaning slab which form an oval measuring 23m (N-S) by 21.5m. None of the stones now has a height of more than 0.4m above the peat surface. Many of the visible stones barely protrude above the peat. The most prominent stones lie in the W half of the circle.
The site has been extensively robbed, particularly in the NE and SE quadrants where there are major gaps. Probing here, and elsewhere around the circle, suggests that the stumps of at least 14 more stones may lie beneath the surface. Recently excavated drainage channels and new fences are evident in the vicinity of the circle.
The site was first noted by members of the Cambrian Archaeological Association (see Arch.Camb. 2, 1847, p.357) who also described, on the same occasion, a second circle 'higher up the mountain'; this latter has yet to be located.
visited: D.K.Leighton & D.J.Percival 13 August 1987