Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

HOLY CROSS CHURCH, LLANNOR

Site Details



NPRN 301081

Map Reference SH33NE

Grid Reference SH3538637264

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Llannor

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description Parish church of Holy Cross, Llannor.

The core of the church is a 13th century nave and chancel without structural division. The west tower was added in the 15th-16th century. The south trancept, on the site of the Bodvel chapel, the porch and most architectural details, date from the restoration of 1855.

Source: RCAHMW 1964 Caernarvonshire Inventory III (West), 73-4 No. 1657.

Inscribed stone.

A pillar stone, formerly used as a churchyard gatepost and now preserved in the church porch, bears the inscription:

FIGVLINI FILI/LOCVLITI/HIC IACIT

This commemorates Figulinus son of Loculit and is thought to date to the 6th century AD.
The stone, set in the porch floor, is 1.52m by 0.33m by 0.45m tapering to 0.28m.

Sources: Nash Williams 1950 Early Christian Monuments in Wales, No. 95.
RCAHMW 1964 Caernarvonshire Inventory III (West), 82 No. 1674.

John Wiles 23/10/2006

Digital Images

Archive Records