Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST CIANS CHURCH, LLANGIAN

Site Details



NPRN 301084

Map Reference SH22NE

Grid Reference SH2956528947

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Llanengan

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Medieval

Site Description GENERAL
A church of possible 13th century date, but much changed and restored. The church is listed in the Norwich taxation of 1254 (Lunt 1926, 190). A 6th century stone stands in the churchyard, and a similar date was obtained from charcoal below the cemetery wall, which raises the archaeological potential of this site.
CEMETERY
The churchyard was originally curvilinear in form, but was extended on the south-west and east sides in 1895. The former boundary on the east side is now marked by a low bank and a line of yew trees. The original churchyard was used for burial until recently. There is a 6th century inscribed stone to the south of the church. The main entrance to the churchyard is a lych gate on the west side. The northern stone walled boundary appears to have been encroached by property boundaries. There is a stream on the south side and a road on the west side. A radiocarbon date of 430-670 AD was obtained from charcoal associated with daub at the base of the south wall of the churchyard when the wall was rebuilt in 1994. The area of the churchyard was given as 2 roods and 29 perches with a 3/4 acre extension in a terrier of 1900 (NLW B/TI/2).

CHURCH
The church consists of a continuous nave and chancel with a west porch and north vestry.

It is possible that much of the wall fabric of the nave may be as early as the 12th century or 13th century, as a church is known to have been here in the 13th century, but there is no direct evidence.

There are blocked doorways of uncertain date at the west ends of the north and south walls of the nave.

In the late 15th century the chancel was added, dated by the arch-braced collar-beam trusses that roof the nave and chancel. There is a staggered quoin joint in the south wall between the nave and chancel.

19th CENTURY AND LATER RESTORATIONS
Before 1852 the church was restored. The west wall was rebuilt with a doorway and the three windows in the north and south walls and the east window were inserted.

The church was restored by H. Kennedy in 1858 when the internal fittings were re-arranged (NLW B/F/353). The north vestry was probably added at this time.

Later a wooden porch was added to the west end.

FITTINGS
There is an octagonal font with the date 1638 inscribed. There are two memorials dated 1704 and 1780.

OTHER
The walls are of local rubble with modern dressings. Modern slate roof.

The external east wall is pointed with poor stone definition, the remainder with good stone definition.

There is timber flooring beneath the pews, the aisle is carpeted.

There is a path and drainage around the church.

Associated with inscribed stone (NPRN302281).

RCAHMW AP965120/41-2

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites