Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST RHEDYW'S CHURCH, LLANLLYFNI

Site Details



NPRN 301085

Map Reference SH45SE

Grid Reference SH47065209

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Llanllyfni

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description GENERAL
A church of cruciform plan of which the nave is probably 14th century, the chancel 15th century and the transepts 16th/17th century. The church has been much restored, and all the present windows are modern. It did not prove possible to gain access to the interior of this church, but it has been reported that a number of blocked openings are visible. There would appear to be architectural potential at this church for further discoveries. There is the site of an associated well a short distance west of the church.

CEMETRY
A large cemetery of irregular shape, which was extended to the north-west and south-west in 1879 and again in 1906 (B/C/90 & B/C/91). It slopes steeply on the north side, where the cemetery is overgrown, and contains 18th and 19th century graves. The most modern graves are those furthest to the south-west. The cemetery is bounded by mortared stone walls, which retain the 1m high interior levels on the east and south.

CHURCH
The church consists of a nave and chancel with a west bell-cote, north and south transepts, and a south porch.

The 14th century nave is the oldest part of the building, dated by the north door which has a simple two-centred arch of slate voussoirs.

The chancel was probably added in the 15th century. A straight joint is visible in the north wall just west of the transept, and one in the south wall further west, suggesting part of this wall was rebuilt when the chancel was added. The RCAHMW argue convicingly for the former presence of a chancel arch (RCAHMW 1960, 206), based on the evidence of kneelers for a higher roof in the north and south walls.

The transepts were added in the late 15th and early 16th centuries. The northern transept inclines to the west and the south inclines slightly to the east.

The restoration plans of 1839 show two narrow blocked windows in the south wall of the nave and another at the west end of the north wall (B/MAPS/60). It did not prove possible to obtain keys to see the interior of this church, but it was recorded in 1973 that the plaster had been stripped off the interior, and that two small blocked windows were visible in the east wall and a square blocked opening visible in the south wall (Snowdonia National Park 1984, 300).

19TH CENTURY RESTORATIONS
The church was extensively restored 1839, and again in 1879 by Lloyd of Caernarfon. A new roof using the old trusses was built, new windows were inserted and a south porch was built.

FITTINGS
The octagonal stone font probably belongs to the 15th century. Memorials include a carved stone panel in the south wall of the nave dated 1603 and an 18th century inscribed slate slab at the west end of the nave.

OTHER
The walls are of local rubble with modern dressings. Modern slate roof.

The exterior is pointed with good stone definition.

Digital Images

Archive Records