Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST CATTWG'S CHURCH, LLANCARFAN;ST CADOC'S

Site Details



NPRN 301266

Map Reference ST07SE

Grid Reference ST05127020

Unitary (Local) Authority The Vale of Glamorgan

Old County Glamorgan

Community Llancarfan

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Medieval

Site Description C12 origins, but nave and chancel rebuilt 1284-1307. In the C14 the S aisle was altered to create the Raglan chapel, and the W tower was added. The nave, chancel, and chapel were re-roofed in the C15. Further restoration was undertaken 1887-8. Constructed of coursed limestone rubble. Double pile roof. Perpendicular porch. The church retains many of its medieval features. The chancel, nave, and S aisle all have C15 cradle roofs. Transitional Norman chancel arch supported on large impost blocks with Romanesque dogtooth design. Remains of C15 rood screen. C15 screen separates Raglan chapel from S aisle, may be part of the original rood screen. Norman font with crude decoration.
(Source CADW listed buildings database)
J Hill 03.10.2003
The church contains a fragment pillar cross shaft, thought to be 11th-12th C., which, along with the extensive churchyard, has been taken to indicate the presence of an e.Med monastry (see Nprn275855).
(source Os495card; ST07SE28)
RCAHMW AP955176/43
J.Wiles 23.02.04
Wallpaintings; canopied reredos in nave and Apostles Creed in south aisle. Source undated noted by A.J. Parkinson. 2004.03.12/RCAHMW/SLE

[Additional 2011]
Wallpainting conservation in progress 2010/11; samples from timbers removed during roof restoration taken for tree-ring dating 2011. Summary of available archaeological and architectural information provided by Amelia Pannett and Rick Turner, 'St Cadoc's Church, Llancarfan: Historical Research and Building Recording (Archaeology Wales Report 1004, 2011). RFS/RCAHMW/2011.

Archive Records

Online Resources