An important ring cairn, with its unusual circle of contiguous slabs around a large rectangular cist, it has the distinction of being mentioned in one of Britain's earliest antiquarian books, William Camden's 'Britannia' (1695 edition). This early description of the monument reads: 'a circle of rude stones, which are somewhat of a flat form . . . disorderly pitch'd in the ground, of about 17 or 18 yards diameter; the highest of which now standing is not above a yard in height. It has but one entry into it, which is about four foot wide'. There are 25 slabs in the circle, up to 2.5m in length, and most lean outwards slightly. In the middle of the circle is a stone cist with its east side and capstone missing. Earth, presumably from its excavation, is heaped up in the west of it. The 'entrance' is problematical, and there may not have been one. There is no trace of a covering mound.
In all respects except the use of upright stones this would appear to be a normal ring cairn, and by analogy with others in the area it should date to the first half of the 2nd millennium BC. (Whittle. E. 1992. Cadw: A Guide to Ancient and Historic Wales Galmorgan and Gwent p19).
V.Devine, RCAHMW, 07/09/2004.