Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARY'S CHURCH, WHITCHURCH, CARDIFF

Site Details



NPRN 301457

Map Reference ST18SE

Grid Reference ST1535980080

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Whitchurch

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Mary's church is located on the south-west side of Penlline Road at its junction with Church Road, set in a large churchyard. It was built in Gothic style in 1882-4 to designs of diocesan architect J.Pritchard. Vestry and north transept were added in 1920. The church replaced the previous parish church which stood about 300m north-east of the present one and was demolished in 1904 (the site now a memorial garden in Old Church Road).
The church is constructed of Pennant sandstone, in thin and thinner courses, and sparing Bath stone dressings, and with plain tile roofs. It consists of three-bay aisleless nave, lower chancel, south-west tower of traditional Glamorgan type (tall, thin and unbuttressed) set over the south porch, added north transept, and large north vestry to chancel. The interior is plain Gothic but the polychrome brick walls have been rendered over.
There is a five-bay crown post roof to the nave, close-set arch-braced tie beam roof to the chancel.
The font is in thirteenth-century style with conical wooden cover. The stone reredos is a lavish Decorated piece, centred on a relief of the Supper at Emmaeus. Stained glass includes works by Jones & Willis (1913-14), Celtic Studios (1948) and, notably, Alan Younger(1980).
Sources:
Extracts from Cadw Listing description; J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (1995), p.313.

RCAHMW, 1 May 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records