Llanmelin Wood hillfort is a roughly oval enclosure, about 140m north-east to south-west by 100m, set against an angle of steep natural slopes on the north-west and south-west, defined by double ramparts and ditches, with an additional counterscarp, having an inturned, south-west facing entrance; a rampart, ditch and counterscarp line spring from the main circuit, running south-east for about 70m to enclose an annex area against the natural scarps; this annex is internally subdivided and two 12-13th century longhouses have been explored here.
The hillfort was excavated in 1930-32, the complex produced Iron Age, Roman and medieval finds. New community excavations undertaken by Cadw between 29th October and 16th November 2013 investigated parts of the hillfort interior.
There is a lesser enclosure, about 235m to the north-east (Nprn 307960).
Source: Nash Williams 1933 (AC 88), 237-346.
T. Driver, RCAHMW 2013