Sophia Gardens was the first public park in Cardiff, and the earliest in Wales, built by the Marchioness of Bute and opened in 1858 to compensate for the closing of the castle grounds. Together with Pontcanna and Llandaff Fields, which followed, it forms a huge public open space in the heart of Cardiff, mirrored on the east bank of the river Taff by Bute Park. Although much of the original framework of Sophia Gardens has been lost, some original features remain.It was built mainly
2. This garden is depicted on the Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25-inch map of Glamorgan XLIII, sheet 10 (1901). C.H. Nicholas, RCAHMW, 18th August 2006.