St Barnabas' Church was built in 1862 for Lord Cawdor (whose birthday was St Barnabas' day), as was St Barnabas' Church, Rhandirmwyn (NPRN 310133). It was built in order to provide a place of worship for workers at the woollen mills of Drefach, part of one of the main wool manufacturing centres in Wales at that time. The church is situated within a triangular churchyard, bounded north-east side by a B road which runs through the village.
The church is consructed of Pwntan sandstone with yellow ashlar dressings. It is Gothic in style and consists of nave, chancel with polygonal apse, south porch and open timber west bellecote. High thin trusses are supported by corbels. The apse arch is shafted. There is a pipe organ and a number of stained glass windows, incuding three apse windows of 1863, by Heaten, Butler & Bayne, considered among the best of the period in the region. A tile depicting Lord Cawdor's coat of arms is mounted near the entrance.
Lloyd, T, Orbach, J, Scourfield R, 2006, The Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion
N Vousden, RCAHMW, 22 November 2012