Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST TWROG'S CHURCH, LLANDWROG

Site Details



NPRN 301810

Map Reference SH45NE

Grid Reference SH4512256077

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Llandwrog

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description St Twrog's church, Llandwrog is a modern church in a Decorated Gothic style, built in 1856-60 on the site and in the footprint of, the medieval parish church. It was built as part of a model estate village (NPRN 401152) by the then Lord Newborough. The church comprises a nave, transepts, chancel, south chancel chapel and north vestry; the south-west tower has a tall broach spire. The church is notable for its complete high Victorian interior of exceptional quality and it retains several notable features (mostly monuments) from the previous church. It has a Victorian octagonal stone pulpit with traceried panels and tapered shaft, the south housing the lectern, and an old wooden pulpit incorporating a fine early 16th century panel, probably of Flemish origin, depicting the Crucifixion.

The chancel contains tablets commemorating the Newborough family. Other fine wall memorials include Thomas Wynn of Bodvean dating to 1749; Ellen and Frances Glyn, co-heirs of Sir John Glyn of Glynllivon dating to 1711 and 1709. The churchyard contains very old graves and stones, including Ellin Williams (on south side) and Elizabeth Meredith (on the east side) dating to 1700 and Jane Glynee Price dating to 1699. When the church was rebuilt, many of the older gravestones where moved to make way for the nave. These can be found against the churchyard wall. Under the sundial (a gift dating to 1746 inscribed 'R. G. Rector') is a small underground room which, according to the Church Register, was used as the death house. The bodies of seafarers washed up on the shore were brought here to await burial.

Sources:
RCAHMW Caernarvonshire Inventory II (1960), 182-3 No. 1198
Cadw listed buildings database.
Rev R Lewis Edwards, 1997, St Twrog's Church, Llandwrog

RCAHMW, June 2015.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites