ST DAVID'S CHURCH WITHIN, BRECON;ST NICHOLAS' CHAPEL
Map Reference SO02NW
Grid Reference SO0419228475
Unitary (Local) Authority Powys
Old County Brecknockshire
Type of Site CHURCH
Broad Class Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Period Post Medieval
Site Description NAR SO02NW10
Conventual church of Dominican Friary, dedicated to St Nicholas, founded before 1269, attached to secular college from 1541. The Ordnance Survey 1:500 map of Brecon (1888) depicts remains of the nave with north aisle. This is 80m east-west by 32m. The former chancel, adapted as college chapel, is 20m by 10m.
Three main periods of restoration, C17, 1860s, and 1926. Early English style. The chancel of the church of the Friary is now incorporated into St Nicholas' Chapel. Lancet windows. Sedilia under trefoil canopies, partly rebuilt. C17 choir stalls. The nave was ruinous by C17, and the remains lie to the SW of the chapel. Originally 88' x 27'. NW door remains, with round-headed arch with Romanesque style moulding.
(Source CADW listed buildings database)
J Hill 06.10.2003
Part of: Priory (Nprn23170)
Associated with: School (NPRN 25091)