Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, COWBRIDGE

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 301845

Map Reference SS97SE

Grid Reference SS99397459

Unitary (Local) Authority The Vale of Glamorgan

Old County Glamorgan

Community Cowbridge with Llanblethian

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description Formerly a chapel of ease of Llanblethian Church.

Probably founded with the medieval town and remodelled during the Medieval period. The present building incorporates a nave and chancel of later C13 work; C14 tower; C15 S aisle and chantry chapel; C16 addition to E end; C19 N porch. Tower renovated in 1893. Local stone walls and slate roofs. Windows of Perpendicular form; many restored or rebuilt during 1850s by John Prichard. Nave arcade of five bays. C15 wagon roof to south aisle; oak boarded roof of c1926 to nave. Pulpit of 1890s (RAJ 4/4/01; based on CADW listing description).

RCAHMW AP955148/58

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites