Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SLEBECH HALL

Site Details



NPRN 30244

Map Reference SN01SW

Grid Reference SN03141397

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Slebech

Type of Site DWELLING

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Slebech Park is built on the site of the commandery of the Knights Hospitallers of the Order of St John. The new house was built in 1776. The architect is thought to have been Anthony Keck: he had a considerable practice producing country houses with plain exteriors and elegant interiors of Adamsian derivation, many with bowed wings. The design of the house might suggest a conscious imitation of Picton Castle, with four bowed wings imitating the similarly placed four main bastions of the Castle. The house is of three storeys at front and four at the side and back. There is a small porch at the main entrance.

Fine interiors include the original ballroom, now a dining room and a figured grey marble chimneypiece in the entrance hall. Reception rooms have chimneypieces and ceiling cornices in each case with related motifs; the doorcases have various decorative friezes and there are double folding boxed shutters to the windows. Above the entrance hall is a room which was the billiard room. One of the front bowed rooms was the music room, with appropriate motifs in its decoration.

The house was recently divided into flats but is now a family home in single occupation again.

Associated with:
Park/gardens (Nprn265275)
Stables (Nprn22641).
RCAHMW AP945032/46-7, 52-3; 945039/41-2

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites