Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARY'S CHURCH, MARGAM

Site Details



NPRN 302498

Map Reference SS88NW

Grid Reference SS80148629

Unitary (Local) Authority Neath, Port Talbot

Old County Glamorgan

Community Margam

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description The W part of the nave of the conventual church of Margam Abbey (Nprn132), in use as a post-Reformation parish church.
J.Wiles 10.12.02

Most of the C12 nave survives and is now part of the parish church, the remainder of the church was rebuilt in Early English style in the C13, but these sections survive now only as ruins. In the C16, the original 8-bay nave was extended to form the parish church. By late C18 the church was mostly ruinous. Restoration undertaken 1805-10, and again 1872-3. Of sutton stone construction with renewed slate roof. Continuous aisled nave and chancel. W entrance retains Norman fabric, but the remainder is C19 Romanesque style. 6-bay Norman arcade to interior. C19 quadripartite vaulted roofs to each bay of the aisles. Of particular interest are the marble Renaissance chest tombs in the Mansel chapel.
Associated with:
Chapter House and Vestibule (NPRN 308863)
Ruined Undercroft (NPRN 308859)
Margam Abbey (NPRN 132)
(Source CADW listed buildings database)
J Hill 19.09.2003

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites