TYWYN 2;CADFAN STONE, ST CADFAN'S CHURCH, TYWYN
Map Reference SH50SE
Grid Reference SH5881400954
Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd
Old County Merioneth
Type of Site INSCRIBED STONE
Broad Class Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Period Early Medieval
Site Description Tywyn 2, a cross-carved stone pillar with roman-letter inscriptions, is thought to date to the ninth century. As its inscriptions are commemorative it is thought likely that the monument was originally located within the cemetery of St Cadfan’s Church (NPRN 43861). The stone was first noted standing in the west end of the churchyard in 1698. The stone was used as a gatepost before 1791, at which time it was removed. In 1821 it was reportedly located within the grotto of a neighbouring gentleman. By the mid-nineteenth century the stone had been returned to the church, where it was lying in two pieces on the floor. The stone was displayed in its present location after 1914. Another inscribed stone, Tywyn 1, was recorded outside the church in the seventeenth century, but is now lost. A seventh to ninth century pillar stone, Tywyn 3 (NPRN 419548), was built into the south side of the tower in 1884. It has an incised cross and is thought to have been discovered some 500m south-south-east of the church.
Tywyn 2 is in two pieces, mounted on a wooden base at the west end of the north aisle of St Cadfan's Church. Measurements are given as 172cm height x 21.2-25cm width. At the top of one of the faces is a linear latin cross, measuring some 36cm in height. Both sides of the stone are inscribed with a total of four inscriptions, which are the earliest known examples of written Welsh and the only early medieval inscriptions (other than names) in Old Welsh.
Edwards, N. 2013, A Corpus of Early Medieval Inscribed Stones and Stone Sculpture in Wales: Volume III North Wales
Nash Williams 'Early Christan Monuments in Wales' (ECM) No. 287: Celtic Inscribed Stones Project (CISP) TWYN1/2
RCAHMW, 11 November 2013