Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

KIDWELLY TOWN GATEHOUSE

Site Details



NPRN 303916

Map Reference SN40NW

Grid Reference SN4072206943

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Kidwelly

Type of Site GATEHOUSE

Broad Class DEFENCE

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description This gatehouse was one of the three gates of the medieval borough of Kidwelly (NPRN 33065), and is part of the Kidwelly Town, Gate and Defences Scheduled Ancient Monument. It was the borough's main gateway, leading from a bridge over the Gwendraeth Fach. At the gatehouse the road branches into Castle Street and Bailey Street, both of which lead towards the Kidwelly Castle (NPRN 95633). The shire hall was built over the gatehouse, and was burnt in 1404-7. It was subsequently dismantled, and the present structure is likely to be, in part at least, of fifteenth century construction.

John Wiles 26.01.08

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites