1. Traces of a Roman villa excavated within an earthwork enclosure.
A subcircular earthwork enclosure, 72-76m in diameter, defined by a rampart, ditch & counterscarp, having a south-west facing entrance, from which the ground falls away in all directions, steeply on the east, save the north, where it faces gently rising ground: identified from RAF vertical AP in 1948, & trenched as a possibly medieval site in 1950, the recognition of Roman material prompting further excavation of internal surface features, 1950-1: this work recorded a heavily plough-damaged rectangular stone built, or founded building, at least 17.5m north-west to south-east by 7.0-8.5m, divided into three compartments by stone-founded partition walls; patches of clay floor were recorded, as well as stone-flags & pitching, these last possibly floor substructures; finds indicated occupation from the early 2nd to at least the later third century; flue-tile fragments suggest the presence of a hypocaust, or bath-suite; fragments of ceramic roof tile were also noted: indications of further structures were noted close by the main building, or range, which was positioned to face the enclosure entrance.
Sources: RAF Vertical: 106G/UK/1423.3052
Thomas & Walker 1959 (BBCS 18.3), 295-303.
2. Aerial reconnaissance in 2007 revealed rectangular footings of a possible building 440m NNW of Trelissey villa at Eastlake (NPRN 410762). These may be interpreted as those of a possible Roman building but further work is required.
T. Driver, RCAHMW, 4th May 2010.