An opulent Roman villa, set on level ground at the north-west end of a sheltered & enclosed plain in the shaddow of the titanic fort of Carn Goch (Nprn100866).
The former presence of 'considerable ruins & excavations' were remarked on in the early 19th century & in the middle years of that century Roman remains, possibly including a pavement, were uncovered (TCAS&FC 5 (1909-10), 31, 48; RCAHM 1917 Carmarthen Inventory, 147). Roman remains were again encountered in the course of building work, leading to limited excavations in 1961-2 (Jarrett 1962). Elements of a two-phase, stone-built structure, comprising at least four rooms, were explored. One of the rooms showed traces of a hypocaust, fragments of painted plaster were recorded. Ceramic & Preceli slate roofing tile fragments were recovered, the latter being of two, contrasting types; the limited finds assemblage suggested occupation in the 3rd-4th centuries AD.
Parchmarks were observed & recorded by the farmer at Llys Brychan in the dry summers of 1975 & 76. These indicate that the features explored in 1961-2 lay at the south-west end of a winged building. Two projecting wings, about 5.0m square, frame the north-west front of the 22m north-east to south-west by 9.0m main range. Traces of further structures have been oberserved by the farmer outside the scheduled area. The excavated structures were thought to have abutted a further range to the west, or north-west (JRS 53 (1963), 125).
Source: Jarrett 1962 (Carmarthen Ant. 4), 2-8.