Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARY'S SCHOOL HOUSE; CHARNEL HOUSE; CAREW CHERITON MORTUARY CHAPEL

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 305158

Map Reference SN00SW

Grid Reference SN04530283

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Carew

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Medieval

Site Description St Mary's School House is a freestanding, two storey building, oriented east-west in Carew churchyard.
Called the 'school-house' in 1625, and used as such until 1872, the building was also a possible mortuary chapel, the vaulted undercroft being an ossary, possibly dating from the early 14-15th century. There is a large, blocked window, showing the remains of tracery visible in the east wall of the upper storey.
The building's last recorded use was as a commitee room and store, possibly later converted for residential use (after 1872?).

(source Os495card; SN00SW13)
Associated with:
Church (Nprn308939).
RCAHMW AP955152/57-8
J.Wiles 15.12.03

Digital Images

Archive Records