Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

PENRICE CASTLE RING;MOUNTY BOROUGH;MONTY BROUGH

Site Details



NPRN 305472

Map Reference SS48NE

Grid Reference SS49228785

Unitary (Local) Authority Swansea

Old County Glamorgan

Community Penrice

Type of Site CASTLE, RINGWORK

Broad Class DEFENCE

Period Medieval

Site Description The Penrice Castle Ring is an embanked oval enclosure, c.40m by 28m, close to the westen end of the village green inn Penrice. The defining ditch remains only to the west but elsewhere its line may be perpetuated by hedgelines. It is thought to be the castle founded by Henry de Beaumont in 1099, the predecessor to Penrice Castle (Nprn94534). Wooden stakes were found in, or under the bank in around 1927.

source: OS495card; SS48NE9

J.Wiles, RCAHMW, 30 May 2002

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites