ST JOHN'S PRIORY, BRECON (BENEDICTINE)
Map Reference SO02NW
Grid Reference SO04432900
Unitary (Local) Authority Powys
Old County Brecknockshire
Type of Site PRIORY
Broad Class Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Period Post Medieval
Site Description NAR SO02NW9
A Benedictine priory dependent on Battle, thought to have been established shortly after 1093, dissolved in 1538, subsequently serving as a parish church until constituted as a cathedral 1932: the remains comprise the much restored conventual church (Nprn96574), along with remains of various conventual buildings, including a possible towered gateway (Nprn96202) & the Prior's lodging, possibly with a guest hall (Nprn309174), presently incorporated into 19th century & later building complexes associated with the Cathedral; 'the Almonry', west of the church (Nprn165163), is thought to be medieval in origin: these features are set within a walled precint of medieval origin: the 'tithe barn' (Nprn25110) is thought to be 17th century & later.
Source: RCAHMW 1994 Brecon Cathedral Church - an architectural study.
Medieval & later borough (Nprn32994)
Priory well (Nprn32184).