Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

BLAENLLYNFI CASTLE

Site Details



NPRN 306016

Map Reference SO12SW

Grid Reference SO14492289

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Brecknockshire

Community Llanfihangel Cwmdu with Bwlch and Cathedine

Type of Site CASTLE

Broad Class DEFENCE

Period Medieval

Site Description The castle at Blaenllynfi is thought to have been established in the period between 1208 and 1215 and suffered varied fortunes throughout the thirteenth century. It was restored or rebuilt towards the middle of the fourteenth century. The surviving remains are of a stone-built quadrillateral castle, set upon a subrectangular moated platform, about 78m north-east to south-west by 56m. It is defined by remains of walls, butresses and towers, with an apparent entrance at the northern angle. Beyond the moat are earthworks representing a range of features (Nprn86017). The site was privately excavated from 1973.

(source Os495card; SO12SW6)

J.Wiles, RCAHMW, 16 August 2002

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites