A castle mount standing on the south-west side of St Iltyd's church (NPRN 12897). This may be the 'Castell Hithell' destroyed in 1233.
This is a roughly circular steep-sided flat-topped mound, about 36m in diameter and 4.0m high. The 16-17m diameter summit has been rather multilated. A ditch runs around the base of the mound, with a causway on the southern side.
An elaborate and ornate masonry castle of two great towers has been excavated to the north of the churchyard (NPRN 91965). This is dated to the fourteenth century and presumably replaced the castle of the mount.
Source: OS record card SO20SW4.
John Wiles 03.08.07