A castle at Dingestow is recorded as being constructed 1184 and further noted in 1469. The earthwork remains include two enclosures, the upper being sub-rectangular, about 54m by 38m, the lower adjoins on the south-east and is about 36m by 60m. The castle is defined by ditches, or moats, except to the north-east where it is sited above a stream. There is a counterscarp to the north-west. Excavations in 1969 failed to locate any substantial masonry structures.
Source: OS record card SO41SE17.
J.Wiles, RCAHMW, 20 September 2002