Dixton Mound is a sub-rectangular, or oval mound, c.30m by 40m and 2.0m high, ditched and counterscarped. An excavation in 1849 produced 11th/12th century material.
A ceramic assemblage from cattle-tread errosion on the counterscarp is thought to indicate late 11th-early 12th century occupation (Wilson & Clarke 1997); Roman material from the same context were mostly mid-late 2nd century, with a single late pre-Flavian sherd (Wilson & Sockett 1997; Wilson 2000).
Wilson & Clarke 1997 (AW 37), 100;
Wilson & Sockett 1997 (AW 37), 74;
Wilson 2000 (AW 40), 96.
RCAHMW AP94-CS 0439