Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CHRIST CHURCH, LAMMAS STREET

Site Details



NPRN 307130

Map Reference SN42SW

Grid Reference SN4075520042

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Carmarthen

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description Christ Church is bounded by Lammas Street on its west side and the B4132 on its north. In the early nineteenth century the site was the intended location for the propsed new church needed to accomodate some of the growing congregation of St Peter's Church. This new church was to be known as St Paul's. However, the site's benefactor was not invited to the laying of the foundation stone, and consequently withdrew her gift of land. Instead, the new church was built in Picton Terrace and dedicated to St David. Christ Church was built in 1867 in order to provide a seperate place of worship for the English-speaking members of St David's Church (NPRN 100103). The church was dedicated in 1869. Christ Church's first bell was found as ballast on Swansea quay in 1864, inscribed from a church in Santiago, Chile.

The church is a Grade II listed building, constucted of rubble stone with ashlar dressings.The building consists of nave with gabled north porch and north transept, chancel with tower and five sided apse. The north wall has a west lancet window. The porch has side buttresses and a pointed doorway. The rectangular central tower has clasping buttresses with gables at mid height and two offsets above. Each of the tower's faces has a single large pointed bell-light with two-light and quatrefoil tracery. Its north side has a lancet window at mid-height with a lean-to vestry below. The apse has five two-light windows with trefoils. The south aisle has pointed windows of three and two lights with foiled circles in heads. It is separately roofed. The aisle has a gabled insertion at its east end. The west end of aisle has a two-light window with cinquefoil. The west end of nave has two similar windows.

The church was renovated in1891, at which time pews were added, and painted decorations of British saints and martyrs were added to the chancel.The oak reredos dates to 1914. The apse has five stained glass windows dating to 1915, with the one in the south aisle dating to 1917. The stained glass window in the nave was added in 1955. The pulpit dates to 1928. The choir stalls were added in 1935. A crenelated parapet was added to the tower in 1965, replacing the former steep slated wedge-shaped roof.

Sources include:
Cadw, 2012, Listed Buildings Database
Carmarthenshire Antiquarian Society, 1987, Newsletter June 1987

N vousden, RCAHMW, 8 October 2012

Archive Records

Associated Sites