Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, WHITEBROOK

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 307393

Map Reference SO50NW

Grid Reference SO5336506549

Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Trellech United

Type of Site MISSION CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description Holy Trinity church is located on the south side of the monor road through the hamlet. It is a small church of c.1840 in the pre-ecclesiological lancet style with major alterations and the addition of a schoolroom on the south side, possibly in 1892. The conveyance of the land that the church is built on is dated 1838.
The church is built of coursed squared red sandstone rubble with a Welsh slate roof, the schoolroom is rendered and painted. Alomost square in plan, it is a single-cell church with a west porch, probably added, and a schoolroom lean-to against the whole of the south wall. The gabled west end has two single light windows, and a central gabled porch with a four-centred head and small pointed windows in the return walls, original plank double doors. The main roof gable has a square bell-cote with an opening to each face, and projecting eaves. The north wall has butresses with off-sets and two windows with Y-tracery. The east end has two windows as the west end.
The schoolroom has a large six over six-pane double sash at the east end and a small window and a four-centred arch door at the west end, the south wall is blind.
The church appears to have been refitted, perhaps in 1892, with a large opening screen into the schoolroom, and an elaborately carved chancel screen known to have been done in 1892 by the Vicar, Joshua Stansfield, who also decorated the church at that time. The windows are 1840s coloured glass in diamond quarries. The roof is extremely elaborate in six bays with kingposts and other vertical struts all along the ties, boarded above.
(source; Cadw listing database) S Fielding RCAHMW 13/07/2006

Archive Records