Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

HOLY TRINITY, WEST PONTNEWYDD, CWMBRAN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 307464

Map Reference ST29NE

Grid Reference ST2872896271

Unitary (Local) Authority Torfaen

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Pontnewydd

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description Holy Trinity is located in a large churchyard, with Mount Pleasant Road to the north, Church Road to the west, and Trinity Road to the east. It was built in 1858-60 in Decorated Gothic style to designs of Pritchard and Seddon, architects.
The church comprises nave with porch tower and steeple, lower chancel, lean-to five-bay north aisle (added in 1889), and north lean-to vestry with later gabled addition. It is constructed of pale brown, squared sandstone rubble banded in purple sandstone rubble with Bath stone ashlar bands and Bath stone dressings, slate roofs and coped gables. The nave roof is said to have been replaced in 1870 by E.A. Lansdowne, but is not obviously an alteration. The porch tower has two stages, an east side polygonal stair turret with slated half-octagonal roof against the second stage, and an unusual two-stage slate roof with band of louvred timber between stages. The top stage is steep, bellcast and with short ridge running west-east, with iron cross cresting.
Inside, the walls are painted plastered. The nave roof is scissor-trussed with notched edges to trusses and wall-posts on corbels.The aisle roofs have notching, as on nave roof, with wall-posts on the south side on corbels, carrying big angle braces. The chancel has panelled roof in seven cants, with timber stop-chamfered ribs and plaster panels.
Fittings include the former chancel screen, now on the west wall (c.1860), timber Gothic bays, Gothic altar and reredos, pannelled Gothic Oak pulpit of 1891 with base removed, later twentieth century stalls (c1968) and font, and stained glass dating from c.1889 to 1970.
Source: extracts from Cadw Listing database

RCAHMW, 8 December 2014

Archive Records