Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CHRIST CHURCH, GARNANT

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 307695

Map Reference SN61SE

Grid Reference SN6887913456

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Cwmamman

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description Christ Church is located in a secluded cul de sac at the south-east end of Vicarage road. It was built in 1839-42 to designs of architect Robert Ebbels of Wolverhampton. It was inspired by Lord Dynevor who, in 1828, first set out the idea of building a new church in the newly industrialised Amman valley in the vast rural parish of Llandeilo. This was the only 'Commissioners' church in south-west Wales, built with funds from the commission for new churches to provide places for worship in new industrial areas.
The walls are unpainted roughcast with limestone dressings and low-pitched slate roofs. It was built in a minimal Gothic style with broad nave, shallow chancel, gallery projection to west with small bellcote, and gabled porch on the west gable. The interior, refitted in 1888, is a large preaching box with utilitarian roofs. Stained glass includes works by W.G.Taylor (1888), Jones & Willis (1911) and Celtic Studios (1957, 1958 & 1972).
Sources:
Extracts from Cadw Listing description.
T.Lloyd, J.Orbach & R.Scourfield, Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion (2006), p.197.
http://www.enchantedtowy.co.uk/garnant_and_glanaman.htm (modern image)

RCAHMW, 16 June 2015

Archive Records