Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

STRODE HOUSE, CHURCH HOUSE AND ACHILL;FORMERLY STRODE SCHOOL AND ALMSHOUSES, GRESFORD

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 307847

Map Reference SJ35NW

Grid Reference SJ3462855027

Unitary (Local) Authority Wrexham

Old County Denbighshire

Community Gresford

Type of Site ALMSHOUSE, SCHOOL

Broad Class EDUCATION, HEALTH AND WELFARE

Period Post Medieval

Site Description A 2-storey range comprising a former school, founded by Margaret Strode, daughter of Col. John Roberts of Gwersyllt, and almshouses, erected in 1725. The almshouses have been rendered, and retain arch-headed windows. The former school still has brick exposed, with toothed eaves, and leaded casements. The building is now 3 separate properties; the ranges at each end are private houses, Achill to the left and Strode House to the right, and the central section, Church House, is used as church meeting rooms.
(See long notes for additional information)
Source: DE/DOM/SJ35NW, from Edward Hubbard, 'The Buildings of Wales'
J. Archer, RCAHMW, 25.11.2004

Digital Images

Archive Records