Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

EWENNY PRIORY HOUSE

Site Details



NPRN 308

Map Reference SS97NW

Grid Reference SS91247777

Unitary (Local) Authority The Vale of Glamorgan

Old County Glamorgan

Community Ewenny

Type of Site MANSION

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description Conventual buildings of Ewenny Priory (Nprn143) adapted and rebuilt as a private mansion from 1545; house rebuilt 1803-5.

The house, outbuildings, and gardens were built within and incorporate parts of the monastic precinct: during the sixteenth century the priory buildings to the south of the church were converted into a large house, parts of which survived the subsequent rebuilding.
An engraving of 1741 by the Buck brothers shows the two-storey Tudor house on the site of the present one; by the beginning of the nineteenth century the house was ruinous, having been described as a 'miserable mansion' in 1787.
The present house is a five-bay, stone Georgian mansion standing on the site of the south wing of the Tudor house, constructed 1803-5: it has two-storeys above a basement, with a projecting porch in the middle of the south front reached by a flight of stone steps. The west wing of the Tudor house was adapted as outbuildings and part of the house, with an arched entrance into an inner courtyard, the site of the monastic cloisters. The third storey was added to the wing as a billiards room in the 1890s.

Taken from Long Text attached to Nprn265767.

Associated with:
Park/gardens (Nprn265767)
Stables (Nprn37533)
Dovecote (Nprn37532)

J.Wiles 19.10.04

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites