ANGLE AIRFIELD, ANGLE
Map Reference SM80SE
Grid Reference SM85810170
Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire
Old County Pembrokeshire
Type of Site AIRFIELD
Broad Class DEFENCE
Site Description The airfield at Angle became fully commissioned on 1 December 1941. At the height of operations, the airfield had one T2 hangar and four Blister hangars. Six fighter dispersal pens were located on the south east side and the watchtower was in one of corners of the airfield facing south-west. A battle headquarters was also established (see NPRN 270755). The airfield was defended by a windmill (see NPRN 33259) converted into a pillbox (see NPRN 270510). Only a few huts remain and the runways have been ploughed up leaving only a perimeter track to trace the outline of the airfield.
Event and Historical Information
On 1December 1941, Angle airfield became the forward station of the Fairwood Common Sector under Group 10. From 18April 1942, Angle was the home of 263 Squadron operating Westland Whirlwinds. The squadron¿s task was to protect shipping off the Welsh coast assisted by a section of 421 Squadron, a new squadron in training at Fairwood. The squadron mainly operated against enemy Ju88, flying from bases in Britanny (e.g. Ju88 bases at Lannion and Morlaix airfields were both attacked by the RAF during Ramrod operations in April 1942 to downgrade this threat). Convoy air patrols continued until 263 Squadron were sent to Colerne on 15 August1942 after consistently achieving the highest number of flying hours in Group 10. Angle was the base for a several other fighter units (date periods are approximate).
* 32 Squadron flying convoy patrol with Hawker Hurricanes from June to November1941 until moved to Manston
* 615 squadron flying Hawker Hurricanes from November 1941-January 1942 until moved to Fairwood Common;
* 312 squadron flying Supermarine Spitfires from January 1942 - April 1942 until moved to Fairwood
* 152 Squadron flying Supermarine Spitfires in September 1942 before moving to Wittering
* 421 Squadron flying Hawker Hurricane IVs until January 1943 before moving to Kenley Wing.
* 412 Squadron from January - February 1943 before moving to Manston;
* detachment of Armstrong Whitworth Whitleys and Horsa gliders in April 1943 for exercises with the 9th Parachute Battalion
* Highball weapon (variant of the Dambuster's bouncing bomb) tested by a De Havilland Mosquito aircraft;
* Royal Navy 794 Squadron (target towing unit) from May 1943
* Coastal Command Development Unit from 1943 onwards conducting a variety of tests, including tests to measure audibility of aircraft from submarines on the surface.
Defence of Britain Project
Jones, I, 2007, Airfields and Landing Grounds of Wales: West, pg96-106
Phillips, Alan, 2006, Military Airfields Wales, pg19-25
Smith, David J, 1982, Action Stations 3: Military Airfields of Wales and the North West, pg 34-6
RCAHMW, June 2008.