Pen-Ffordd-Goch was the site of a large area of surface coal and iron ore extraction from the seventeenth century onwards. It was connected with the Hanbury estates from the seventeenth century and Blaenavon Ironworks from about 1788 onwards. There are well preserved remains of scouring and adit mining from the seventeenth to early nineteenth centuries, including leats, ponds, dams, scours, levels, tips, shaft mounds, tracks and tramroads.
A large number of separate features are recorded individually.
B.A.Malaws, 25 April 2003.