St David's Church was a chapelry during the post-conquest period, belonging to the Deanery of Cemais. It is home to four medieval cross-incised stones (NPRN 276032). Two are incorporated into the churchyard wall, with the other two incorporated into the present church building. The pattern of one of the latter includes a linear Latin cross with a lozenge shaped ring at its upper end, and with stones at St Tecwyn's Church, Llandecwyn (NPRN 43903), St Tanwg's Church, Llandanwg (NPRN 43901) and St Sulien's Church, Silian (NPRN 402554) is one of only four examples in Wales. Llanllawer Holy Well (NPRN 32485), also known as Ffynnon Gapan is located some 40m north-east of the church. The well reportedly had a reputation for its miraculous healing powers, and was reputedly particularly effective in curing sore eyes. In 1998 the church had been redundant for some years.
The form of the medieval church building is unknown. It was entirely rebuilt in 1860, on the same location as its predecessor, but retaining nothing from the earlier fabric.
The current church is constructed of limestone and slate rubble. It consists of two-bayed chancel, wider two-bayed nave, vestry (north of the chancel) south porch and west single bellcote. There is a re-used stoup set within a niche in the north-west angle of the nave. It is filled by a spring which permeates up through the church walls.
Cambria Archaeology, 2000, Carmarthenshire Churches, gazetteer, 48
Edwards, N, 2007, A Corpus of early Medieval Inscribed Stones and Stone Sculpture in Wales: Volume II
N Vousden, RCAHMW, 30 May 2013