THE LLYS AT ABER, HOUSE EXCAVATED AT PEN Y MWD
Map Reference SH67SE
Grid Reference SH6568272635
Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd
Old County Caernarfonshire
Type of Site HOUSE
Broad Class Domestic
Site Description 1. The llys or princely court at Aber was one of the principal residences of the princes of Gwynedd through the thirteenth century. Repairs are recorded in 1289 and 1303, following the English conquest. Remains were still visible in the early sixteenth century.
Excavations in 1993 recovered the plan of a hall with crosswings at either end, associated with thirteenth and fourteenth century material. The hall was 11.2m by 8.0m internally.
The site lies close by the foot of a castle mound (NPRN 95692). There are several other instances in north Wales of apparently unfortified houses associated with castle mounts, for example Castell Prysor (NPRN 308964), Crogen (NPRN 306558) and Rug (NPRN 306598). In these cases the mount can be regarded as an adjunct to the house, conferring a certain status and arguably furnishing a refuge.
Sources: Johnstone in Archaeology in Wales 33 (1993), 68-9
in 'Landscape and Aettlement in Medieval Wales' ed. Edwards (1997), 63-5
RCAHMW aerial coverage
John Wiles 11.07.07
2. Parchmarks consistent of the Llys foundations were recorded during July 2006 on aerial photograph: AP_2006_3418.
T. Driver, RCAHMW, 16th March 2009.