Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST DAVID'S CHURCH, LLANGERNYW

Site Details



NPRN 309567

Map Reference SH86SE

Grid Reference SH8618164716

Unitary (Local) Authority Conwy

Old County Denbighshire

Community Llangernyw

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description The church of St David's was built in 1866-7 in the Early English style to designs of J.O.Scott of London. It consists of nave and chancel, with organ chamber and vestry on the south side, and on the north side a tower with a peel of three bells. Underneath is the principal entrance which is surmounted by a spire. The chancel seats are made of bully-tree wood from Jamaica, a dark and heavy material resembling unpolished mahogany, and the flooring of nave and chancel is of encaustic tiles.
Source: D.R.Thomas, History of the Diocese of St Asaph vol.2 (1911), p.316-7.
There is also a refenece to it in the RCAHMW Wallpaintings database (SLE 09.09.2004)
Inscription in Welsh around chancel arch (NBR photo)

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 24 October 2014

Digital Images

Archive Records