Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST PETER'S CHURCH, RUTHIN

Site Details


NPRN 309581

Map Reference SJ15NW

Grid Reference SJ1236158378

Unitary (Local) Authority Denbighshire

Old County Denbighshire

Community Ruthin

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description The present church of St Peter's, Ruthin, grew out of the collegiate church founded in 1310 and has undergone many subsequent alterations. The early church consisted of an aisleless nave, chancel, and central tower. A south aisle was added in the late 14th century creating a double-nave form. The original chancel was demolished in 1663. The tower was altered and a broach spire added c.1859. Features of interest include the 3-light west window of the south nave, which may be a reset work of c.1310 and the late Perpendicular camber-beam roof.

(Source: Edward Hubbard, 'Buildings of Wales: Clwyd', 1986, p.275, and RCAHMW Inventory, 1914, 626)
J.Hill, RCAHMW, 10/06/2004

The collegiate church was associated with a house, or cell of Bonhommes, established 1310, dissolved 1479; part of the college buildings survive on the north (nprn 27595). Town church of Ruthin (nprn 33100).

(Source OS 495 card; SJ15NW11).
RCAHMW AP945190/49-51
J.Wiles, RCAHMW, 20.07.2004.

St Peter's Church is famous for its spectacular 16th century carved oak roof, given, according to legend, by Henry VII.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 10 May 2005.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites