Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CAPEL GWYNFE, CAPEL GWYNFE

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 309913

Map Reference SN72SW

Grid Reference SN7222822014

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Llangadog

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description All Saints Church is situated within an irregularly shaped churchyard, which has a small medieval chapel in its grounds. A chapel is known to have existed at this site since at least the sixteenth century, and is thought to have formerly beena chapel of ease. The site of this chapel, known as Capel Gwynfe, is represented by the roadside chapel located to the immediate south of the current church building. The site is thought to be associated with a curvilinear outer enclosure, visible in the field pattern on all but its western side.

The current chapel building is thought to be the predecessor of a building with the same footprint, dating to around 1710. The present building is constructed of limestone rubble and some old Red Sandstone, with its earliest fabric thought to date to 1812-18. It consists of a three-bayed nave/chancel, south porch and west bellcote. The nave/chancel and porch date to 1812, as does the majority of the wall render. The openings all date to 1812-18. The east window and one in each of the side walls have semi-circular headed openings. The south door has a two-centred opening. The vestry abuts the eastern half of the north wall, and may have been added later. Its window is stylistically similar to the others, but cruder in design. The bellecote is thought to have been added in the mid-nineteenth century. A coal/boiler house is located against the west vestry wall, in the angle with the chancel/nave. It is thought to date to around 1890. The door in the east vestry wall was rebuilt in the later twentieth century. The west nave/chancel wall was re-rendered in the twentieth century.

In 1899 a new church building, dedicated to All Saints, was consecrated. Capel Gwynfe was no longer used for worship and became the church hall. All Saints Church is a Grade II listed building, considered to have unusual interior detail, particularly the tiled reredos. The building, of Free Perpendicular Gothic style, was designed by E H Bruton, Cardiff and built by Daniel Price, Llangadog. It is constructed of local red sandstone with grey Forest of Dean stone dressings. It consists of nave and chancel under single roof, a south-west porch-tower and north-east vestry.

Sources include:
Cadw, Listed Buildings Database
Cambria Archaeology, 2000, Carmarhenshire Churches, gazetteer, 48
www.cwmammanhistory.co.uk

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 21 August 2012

Digital Images

Archive Records

Online Resources