Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST LLAWDDOGS, PENBOYR

Site Details



NPRN 310024

Map Reference SN33NE

Grid Reference SN3602036295

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Llangeler

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description St Llawddog's Church was a parish church during the medieval period, belonging to the Deanery of Emlyn. The advowson has always been inn private patronage. In 1347 the patron was Edward, Prince of Wales (the Black Prince), although a rival claim was made by the Bishop of St Davids, who ordained a vicar. In 1833 the rectory was in the patronage of the Earl of Cawdor. In 1998 the church was a parish church, belonging to the Rural Deanery of Emlyn. The church is sited within a rectilinear churchyard, bounded by a road on its south-west side. A motte and bailey castle, Tomenlawddog (NPRN 303730), is sited immediately south, with only the road seperating it from the churchyard. The church is some 600m north-north-west of a hill fort, Caer Blaenmaenog (NPRN 303731).

The form of the original church is unknown, although a bell is known to have been present in the sixteenth century. The church was rebuilt in 1809, in the 'estate chapel' style. It comprised three-bayed nave, chancel, porch with bell turret/tower above and vestry north of the nave central bay. The twelfth-thirteenth century square font (with surface mouldings) was removed at this time, and replaced with a black marble font. The nave was lit by three south windows, two north windows and an east window.The building's corners were decorated with plain finials, and the bell-turret carried a cupola. The church was restored in 1887, to the designs of D. Jenkins, Gorslas, and all the 1809 detail was lost. The old vestry was removed, and the present vestry was added north of the chancel, re-using the old vestry's window. The church was re-fenestrated, re-roofed, re-floored and re-seated. The spire was erected above the bell tuurret. The original font bowl has now been returned.

Sources include:
Cambria Archaeology, 2000, Carmarthenshire Churches, gazeteer, 48

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 7 February 2013

Associated Sites