Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

RHOSSILI DOWN RADAR STATION

Site Details


NPRN 310203

Map Reference SS48NW

Grid Reference SS41838994

Unitary (Local) Authority Swansea

Old County Glamorgan

Community Rhossili

Type of Site RADAR STATION

Broad Class DEFENCE

Period 20th Century, Modern

Site Description The radar station on Rhossili Down was first operational in 1942 as one of a group of radar stations controlled from Milford Haven to cover the Bristol Channel. It was originally a Coastal Defence Station, manned by the army, to monitor shipping and low-flying aircraft, but was updated and eventually became part of the Chain Home Low radar network. It was closed around 1945. The linear building complex, approximately 90m long, was oriented north-south and stood on the west facing slopes of Rhossili Down. Following demolition only concrete foundations remain.
RCAHMW, 07 October 2009.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites