DOVECOTE IN PARCIAU PARK
Map Reference SH48SE
Grid Reference SH4975883930
Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey
Old County Anglesey
Type of Site DOVECOTE
Broad Class Agriculture and Subsistence
Period Post Medieval
Site Description The early seventeenth century dovecote located in the great park of Parciau (NPRN 86548) is an ornate tall square plan building of two storeys divided by a bold projecting string course. The walls are of roughly coursed stone rubble with finer dressings. Each wall rises to a gable topped by a finial and the roof is topped by an ornate classical cupola, again cross gabled with finials.
The columbarium is in the upper storey, reached by a stair in the thickness of the walls. It has a corbelled vault lit by the cupola.
The 2nd/3rd editions of the OS County series mapping (Anglesey VIII.13 1900, 1920) show the dovecote standing at the northern end of a regular oval scarped enclosure, about 35m north-south by 20m. The adjoining wood was Pigeon House Covert in 1920.
Sources: RCAHM Anglesey Inventory (1937), 62
NMR Site File
John Wiles 02.08.07