Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

COAL EXCHANGE, MOUNT STUART SQUARE, CARDIFF

Site Details


NPRN 31766

Map Reference ST17SE

Grid Reference ST1894874700

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Butetown

Type of Site COAL EXCHANGE

Broad Class COMMERCIAL

Period Modern

Site Description The Coal Exchange, Cardiff, was built in 1884-5, by Ewin Seward and Thomas, and designed around the centrally placed Coal and Shipping Hall. The Exchange floor is surrounded by galleried tiers of offices in Jacobean style dark wood. The Coal and Shipping Hall was rebuilt in 1911 and this magnificent hall, with its Corinthian columns, oak balcony and rich wood panelling, is now used for functions and broadcasts. In the entrance hall two lion statues support dials giving the tide times.

(A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East Wales, AIA, 2003)
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 07 June 2004.

Digital Images

Archive Records