Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CAERLEON ROMAN LEGIONARY MUSEUM, ROMAN LODGE, CAERLEON

Site Details



NPRN 31953

Map Reference ST39SW

Grid Reference ST33949058

Unitary (Local) Authority Newport

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Caerleon

Type of Site MUSEUM

Broad Class CIVIL

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Caerleon Roman Legionary Museum, 1850, stone, neo-grecian style, giant portico with doric order and pediment; shaped doorway containing Roman pavement and remains.
RCAHMW, 01.01.1993.

"The building, in the style of a Doric Temple, was sanctioned by the Monmouthshire & Caerleon Antiquarian Association on October 28th 1847 largely through the initiative of a Sir Digby Mackworth. The design was by Mr H.F. Lockwood, a North Country architect, and was started in July 1848.
Much of the material utilized in the building including the four round pillars in the cellar came from the old Market House, which stood where the War Memorial now stands.
It was opened to the public in September, 1850; it was transferred by gift to the National Museum of Wales in 1930."
ex A. Nasiri and D.L.R Thomas, Welsh school of Architecture, Sept 1963. 2001.03.21.RCAHMW/SLE

Archive Records

Associated Sites